[Resource Topic] 2022/1503: The Parallel Reversible Pebbling Game: Analyzing the Post-Quantum Security of iMHFs

Welcome to the resource topic for 2022/1503

Title:
The Parallel Reversible Pebbling Game: Analyzing the Post-Quantum Security of iMHFs

Authors: Jeremiah Blocki, Blake Holman, Seunghoon Lee

Abstract:

The classical (parallel) black pebbling game is a useful abstraction which allows us to analyze the resources (space, space-time, cumulative space) necessary to evaluate a function f with a static data-dependency graph G. Of particular interest in the field of cryptography are data-independent memory-hard functions f_{G,H} which are defined by a directed acyclic graph (DAG) G and a cryptographic hash function H. The pebbling complexity of the graph G characterizes the amortized cost of evaluating f_{G,H} multiple times as well as the total cost to run a brute-force preimage attack over a fixed domain \mathcal{X}, i.e., given y \in \{0,1\}^* find x \in \mathcal{X} such that f_{G,H}(x)=y. While a classical attacker will need to evaluate the function f_{G,H} at least m=|\mathcal{X}| times a quantum attacker running Grover’s algorithm only requires \mathcal{O}(\sqrt{m}) blackbox calls to a quantum circuit C_{G,H} evaluating the function f_{G,H}. Thus, to analyze the cost of a quantum attack it is crucial to understand the space-time cost (equivalently width times depth) of the quantum circuit C_{G,H}. We first observe that a legal black pebbling strategy for the graph G does not necessarily imply the existence of a quantum circuit with comparable complexity — in contrast to the classical setting where any efficient pebbling strategy for G corresponds to an algorithm with comparable complexity for evaluating f_{G,H}. Motivated by this observation we introduce a new parallel reversible pebbling game which captures additional restrictions imposed by the No-Deletion Theorem in Quantum Computing. We apply our new reversible pebbling game to analyze the reversible space-time complexity of several important graphs: Line Graphs, Argon2i-A, Argon2i-B, and DRSample. Specifically, (1) we show that a line graph of size N has reversible space-time complexity at most \mathcal{O}\left(N^{1+\frac{2}{\sqrt{\log N}}}\right). (2) We show that any (e,d)-reducible DAG has reversible space-time complexity at most \mathcal{O}(Ne+dN2^d). In particular, this implies that the reversible space-time complexity of Argon2i-A and Argon2i-B are at most \mathcal{O}(N^2 \log \log N/\sqrt{\log N}) and \mathcal{O}(N^2/\sqrt[3]{\log N}), respectively. (3) We show that the reversible space-time complexity of DRSample is at most \mathcal{O}(N^2 \log \log N/\log N). We also study the cumulative pebbling cost of reversible pebblings extending a (non-reversible) pebbling attack of Alwen and Blocki on depth-reducible graphs.

ePrint: https://eprint.iacr.org/2022/1503

See all topics related to this paper.

Feel free to post resources that are related to this paper below.

Example resources include: implementations, explanation materials, talks, slides, links to previous discussions on other websites.

For more information, see the rules for Resource Topics .