[Resource Topic] 2022/221: Secure Joint Communication and Sensing

Welcome to the resource topic for 2022/221

Title:
Secure Joint Communication and Sensing

Authors: Onur Gunlu, Matthieu Bloch, Rafael F. Schaefer, Aylin Yener

Abstract:

This work considers mitigation of information leakage between communication and sensing operations in joint communication and sensing systems. Specifically, a discrete memoryless state-dependent broadcast channel model is studied in which (i) the presence of feedback enables a transmitter to simultaneously achieve reliable communication and channel state estimation; (ii) one of the receivers is treated as an eavesdropper whose state should be estimated but which should remain oblivious to a part of the transmitted information. The model abstracts the challenges behind security for joint communication and sensing if one views the channel state as a characteristic of the receiver, e.g., its location. For independent identically distributed (i.i.d.) states, perfect output feedback, and when part of the transmitted message should be kept secret, a partial characterization of the secrecy-distortion region is developed. The characterization is exact when the broadcast channel is either physically-degraded or reversely-physically-degraded. The characterization is also extended to the situation in which the entire transmitted message should be kept secret. The benefits of a joint approach compared to separation-based secure communication and state-sensing methods are illustrated with a binary joint communication and sensing model.

ePrint: https://eprint.iacr.org/2022/221

See all topics related to this paper.

Feel free to post resources that are related to this paper below.

Example resources include: implementations, explanation materials, talks, slides, links to previous discussions on other websites.

For more information, see the rules for Resource Topics .