[Resource Topic] 2020/176: Do not tell me what I cannot do! (The constrained device shouted under the cover of the fog): Implementing Symmetric Searchable Encryption on Constrained Devices (Extended Version)

Welcome to the resource topic for 2020/176

Title:
Do not tell me what I cannot do! (The constrained device shouted under the cover of the fog): Implementing Symmetric Searchable Encryption on Constrained Devices (Extended Version)

Authors: Eugene Frimpong, Alexandros Bakas, Hai-Van Dang, Antonis Michalas

Abstract:

Symmetric Searchable Encryption (SSE) allows the outsourcing of encrypted data to possible untrusted third party services while simultaneously giving the opportunity to users to search over the encrypted data in a secure and privacy-preserving way. Currently, the majority of SSE schemes have been designed to fit a typical cloud service scenario where users (clients) encrypt their data locally and upload them securely to a remote location. While this scenario fits squarely the cloud paradigm, it cannot apply to the emerging field of Internet of Things (IoT). This is due to the fact that the performance of most of the existing SSE schemes has been tested using powerful machines and not the constrained devices used in IoT services. The focus of this paper is to prove that SSE schemes can, under certain circumstances, work on constrained devices and eventually be adopted by IoT services. To this end, we designed and implemented a forward private dynamic SSE scheme that can run smoothly on resource-constrained devices. To do so, we adopted a fog node scenario where edge (constrained) devices sense data, encrypt them locally and use the capabilities of fog nodes to store sensed data in a remote location (the cloud). Consequently, end users can search for specific keywords over the stored ciphertexts without revealing anything about their content. Our scheme achieves efficient computational operations and supports the multi-client model. The performance of the scheme is evaluated by conducting extensive experiments. Finally, the security of the scheme is proven through a theoretical analysis that considers the existence of a malicious adversary.

ePrint: https://eprint.iacr.org/2020/176

See all topics related to this paper.

Feel free to post resources that are related to this paper below.

Example resources include: implementations, explanation materials, talks, slides, links to previous discussions on other websites.

For more information, see the rules for Resource Topics .