[Resource Topic] 2020/1033: RandChain: A Scalable and Fair Decentralised Randomness Beacon

Welcome to the resource topic for 2020/1033

Title:
RandChain: A Scalable and Fair Decentralised Randomness Beacon

Authors: Runchao Han, Haoyu Lin, Jiangshan Yu

Abstract:

We propose RANDCHAIN, a Decentralised Randomness Beacon (DRB) that is the first to achieve both scalability (i.e., a large number of participants can join) and fairness (i.e., each participant controls comparable power on deciding random outputs). Unlike existing DRBs where participants are collaborative, i.e., aggregating their local entropy into a single output, participants in RANDCHAIN are competitive, i.e., competing with each other to generate the next output. The competitive design reduces the communication complexity from at least O(n2) to O(n) without trusted party, breaking the scalability limit in existing DRBs. To build RANDCHAIN, we introduce Sequential Proof-of-Work (SeqPoW), a cryptographic puzzle that takes a random and unpredictable number of sequential steps to solve. We implement RANDCHAIN and evaluate its performance on up to 1024 nodes, demonstrating its superiority (1.3 seconds per output with a constant bandwidth of 200KB/s per node) compared to state-of-the-art DRBs RandHerd (S&P’18) and HydRand (S&P’20).

ePrint: https://eprint.iacr.org/2020/1033

See all topics related to this paper.

Feel free to post resources that are related to this paper below.

Example resources include: implementations, explanation materials, talks, slides, links to previous discussions on other websites.

For more information, see the rules for Resource Topics .