[Resource Topic] 2019/994: A new family of APN quadrinomials

Welcome to the resource topic for 2019/994

Title:
A new family of APN quadrinomials

Authors: Lilya Budaghyan, Tor Helleseth, Nikolay Kaleyski

Abstract:

The binomial B(x) = x^3 + \beta x^{36} (where \beta is primitive in \mathbb{F}_{2^4}) over \mathbb{F}_{2^{10}} is the first known example of an Almost Perfect Nonlinear (APN) function that is not CCZ-equivalent to a power function, and has remained unclassified into any infinite family of APN functions since its discovery in 2006. We generalize this binomial to an infinite family of APN quadrinomials of the form x^3 + a (x^{2^i+1})^{2^k} + b x^{3 \cdot 2^m} + c (x^{2^{i+m}+2^m})^{2^k} from which B(x) can be obtained by setting a = \beta, b = c = 0, i = 3, k = 2. We show that for any dimension n = 2m with m odd and 3 \nmid m, setting (a,b,c) = (\beta, \beta^2, 1) and i = m-2 or i = (m-2)^{-1} \mod n yields an APN function, and verify that for n = 10 the quadrinomials obtained in this way for i = m-2 and i = (m-2)^{-1} \mod n are CCZ-inequivalent to each other, to B(x), and to any other known APN function over \mathbb{F}_{2^{10}}.

ePrint: https://eprint.iacr.org/2019/994

See all topics related to this paper.

Feel free to post resources that are related to this paper below.

Example resources include: implementations, explanation materials, talks, slides, links to previous discussions on other websites.

For more information, see the rules for Resource Topics .