[Resource Topic] 2011/099: Can Code Polymorphism Limit Information Leakage?

Welcome to the resource topic for 2011/099

Title:
Can Code Polymorphism Limit Information Leakage?

Authors: Antoine Amarilli, Sascha Müller, David Naccache, Daniel Page, Pablo Rauzy, Michael Tunstall

Abstract:

In addition to its usual complexity assumptions, cryptography silently assumes that information can be physically protected in a single location. As one can easily imagine, real-life devices are not ideal and information may leak through different physical side-channels. It is a known fact that information leakage is a function of both the executed code F and its input x.\smallskip In this work we explore the use of polymorphic code as a way of resisting side channel attacks. We present experimental results with procedural and functional languages. In each case we rewrite the protected code code F_i before its execution. The outcome is a genealogy of programs F_0,F_1,\ldots such that for all inputs x and for all indexes i \neq j \Rightarrow F_i(x)=F_j(x)\mbox{~and~}F_i\neq F_j. This is shown to increase resistance to side channel attacks.\smallskip

ePrint: https://eprint.iacr.org/2011/099

See all topics related to this paper.

Feel free to post resources that are related to this paper below.

Example resources include: implementations, explanation materials, talks, slides, links to previous discussions on other websites.

For more information, see the rules for Resource Topics .